- Write sports articles while applying formulas, percentages, probability, and statistics
Create and then convert chances of bad weather from percent to decimal on the weather page
- Combine literacy with math to write creative news stories that transform math concepts into characters and events (see samples page for good examples)
- Develop a weather page noting the different types of clouds, storms, and other phenomena
Create a newspaper that focuses just on recent science discoveries and technologies
Write scientist biographies
- Students become field reporters, writing articles about significant experiments at the science fair
- Teach students the 5 Ws used in newspaper writing, after which students write their own articles employing the same style
- Learn what makes effective biographies (relevant information vs trivial details) and then write one for the obituaries section
- Create a monthly class newspaper to communicate with parents & students
- Book reviews in a variety of genres
- Author studies
- Chapter summaries (which can be effective assessment)
- Create a newspaper depicting one story (e.g. Romeo & Juliet could have feature stories about the major events, a wedding announcement, crossword puzzle with character names, obituary for those who die, etc.)
- "facebook" page on literary characters or authors
| SOCIAL STUDIES
- Identify states, regions, cities, and capitals on the U.S. map found on the weather page
- Create an entire paper around specific topics or time periods, such as scientific discoveries of the 20th century, culture of the roaring 20s, technology available and used in ancient Egypt, Greece, etc.
- Civics classes use two groups, each with its own paper, either from a conservative or liberal point of view (excellent hands-on activity to understand media bias) to write articles
- Write front-page stories, based on national and/or local current events
- Use the "facebook" template to create a page for leaders in currect events. Libya, Egypt, etc. would make great pages.
- Use the "facebook" template to create a page on famous persons in history, which could substitute for a biography paper.
- Foreign language students write newspaper articles in their 2nd language; beginners should use the 100 series; advanced students use 300